Currently in its 16th year, the 1000 Smiles Dental Project – a humanitarian partnership between the Sandals Foundation and Great Shape! Inc. – set record numbers in 2018, providing free dental care to more than 26,000 people in Jamaica, Saint Lucia and Grenada, at a program value of US$4.6 million.
In addition, 2018 marked a number of firsts for 1000 Smiles Dental Project, including:
- Free dental clinics conducted on two islands simultaneously – Saint Lucia and Grenada
- Expansion to a new island – Grenada
- A wider reach of dental services – including providing free dentures to 80 individuals in Jamaica, where they can cost up to US$1500
What is 1000 Smiles Dental Project?
1000 Smiles Dental Project recruits volunteer dental professionals from the United States, Canada and the Caribbean to provide free services including cleaning, filling, extractions, dental sealants and even root canal service, through US-based charity Great Shape! Inc. The Sandals Foundation and Sandals Resorts International provide accommodation, local transportation and logistical support for the volunteer teams, in association with local governments and Ministries of Health, in order to conduct the dental clinics.
2018 By The Numbers – 1000 Smiles Dental Project
- 26,281 persons served
- 570 volunteers
- 16,107 children received oral health instruction
- 39,581 procedures provided in free dental clinics, including:
- 10,174 exams
- 5806 extractions
- 3644 cleanings
- 3320 fillings (including 83 root canals)
To learn more about the Sandals Foundation, please visit www.sandalsfoundation.org