Three Americans who were found dead at Sandals Emerald Bay on Great Exuma in the Bahamas earlier this month died from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to information obtained by local newspaper the Nassau Guardian.
The deaths have been a mystery ever since the incident was first reported on May 6. Multiple Bahamian outlets, on Tuesday, corroborated the claim.
Earlier this month, samples from the three victims were taken and sent to a lab in Philadelphia for analysis and the full autopsy and toxicology reports are expected to be released soon.
Among the three who died, two were members of the travel advisor community: Robbie Phillips, 65, and her husband Michael Phillips, 68, from Tennessee.
The pair owned Royal Travel and Robbie Phillips, as a specialist in selling Sandals vacations, called herself "The Sand Lady.”
The third guest was Vincent Chiarella, 64, from Florida; his wife, Donnis Chiarella, 65, was found alive and was airlifted to a hospital, where she was reported to be in stable condition. She has since been released from hospital.
According to reports, the couples were staying in separate villas next to each other in the same building at Sandals Emerald Bay, and officials said there were no signs of trauma to their bodies.
The Nassau Guardian reports that forensic scientists collected samples from both villas where the victims were found to determine if any contaminants were present.
The victims’ families have requested a private pathologist to conduct separate autopsies, Minister of Health Dr. Michael Darville told media last week.
Darville told reporters at the time that the incident was isolated and there is no broader health concern.
It is unclear if families or loved ones of the deceased are pursuing legal action.