Due to ongoing travel restrictions, Sunwing has cancelled its summer domestic flight program, eliminating all flights that were set to operate in Canada.
According to a July 8 notice on the company's website, customers with impacted flights will be contacted "over the coming weeks."
Last March, Sunwing, for the 16th consecutive year, announced a 2021 spring and summer domestic program, unveiling weekly routes to some of Canada’s most popular destinations.
The offering included flights that linked Toronto with Newfoundland and Vancouver.
Sun flights resume July 30
But Sunwing is still getting ready for its big summer return to Mexico and the Caribbean after months of suspended operations.
Following news that the Canadian government would begin easing border restrictions for fully vaccinated Canadians on July 5, the company announced that it will resume partial service to select sun destinations from Toronto Pearson International Airport and Montréal-Trudeau International Airport starting on July 30, 2021.
The flight schedule from Toronto will be as follows:
- Between Toronto and Cancun, on Fridays and Sundays starting July 30, 2021 and on Saturdays starting August 21, 2021
- Between Toronto and Punta Cana, on Saturdays starting July 31, 2021 and on Fridays starting August 20, 2021
- Between Toronto and Varadero, on Mondays starting August 2, 2021
- Between Toronto and Montego Bay, on Sundays starting August 22, 2021
The initial flight schedule from Montreal will be as follows:
- Between Montreal and Cancun, on Fridays and Sundays starting July 30, 2021
- Between Montreal and Punta Cana, on Saturdays starting July 31, 2021
- Between Montreal and Varadero, on Mondays starting August 2, 2021
Additional flights and routes may be added in the coming weeks to reflect consumer demand, Sunwing said.
“With vaccines rolling out across the country and borders reopening, we’re seeing a significant increase in demand for travel nationwide," said Andrew Dawson, president of tour operations for Sunwing, on June 22. "We’re excited to be offering our customers frictionless vacation experiences under our wing and helping them return to the tropics safely and responsibly under our Safe with Sunwing commitment."
Don't miss a single travel story: subscribe to PAX today